Sunday, November 06, 2005

Half a Day off!!! how nice!!

So the center closes after noon on Sunday, usually a good time for network weenies to make major changes, but this time it was time to send people out for a days rest. I went to the mall (funny since I seem to work at a mall) but I needed one where I could buy some shoes. I could not find either my style or size that I wanted even though I hit every shoe selling store in the "Mall of Lousiana" but Payless. Oh well maybe next time.

I got informed by my hotel that they will only clean my room once a week and that if I need more towels I have to come to the front desk. There are no Klenex or paper towels here either.. I am somewhat non-plussed by this place. They were insistent that I come to the front desk and pay with my credit card on a daily basis, rather than charge me for a week or let me run a tab ........ it is so very bizarre... I am looking for another place but it does not look good till after Christmas. I think if I get some luck, I will find some places around Thanksgiving with people traveling out of town to see relatives.......

So..to treat myself I went to a seafood place that was recommended to me. I ordered something called "Seafood Platter" and had a very pleasant surprise. Biggest plate of fish and fish products I have ever seen. Shrimp, stuffed shrimp, catfish strips (best I ever had), a cup of seafood gumbo, oysters, crab stuffed crab and one soft shelled crab ( and a mountain of french fries) ALL FRIED....... Ok.. I have to say, I have seen soft shelled crab in a sushi place in handrolls and always thought it looked good butttttttttttt..... This one was fried golden crispy.... I could not shed the image that it was a batter dipped and fried spider........ like it was going to try to get away when I munched on its little legs.... that when I bit into its carapace it was going to shriek EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All this visualization made me just a bit queazy...... The place had more stuffed critters on the wall than any other restrauant I have been to yet.. lots of fish too.. but they had these tiny little elk up there.. I asked the manager why they had to stuff the little one and he looked at me funny. The Buckhorn Exchange on 10th and Osage in Denver has the biggest elk in the world in it, one head going from waist high on the first floor to almost waist hi on the second inside a stairwell... wow.....

I was glad to get a half a day off. I learned to burn mass disks in the copy room today as desktop support was otherwise quite slow. More as time and energy allow

4 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

Holy golden arches FEMA MAN! I sure hope they wern't spiders!

Glad you have a half day off !

:)

S.H.A.T. unit 51

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ymmm! I remember those fish platters from when I worked Baton Rouge Disasters.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't have done it. My mind is stronger than my stomach. Did you at least try a bite?

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did eat virtually the entire crab..... nibbled its little legs off so it could not run away and then two big bites out of the carapace... umm.. it was "juicy"... lets say I have no need to get another one right away...

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home