Thursday, November 16, 2006

Alexandria... Worst of all worlds....

Hi guys... Alexandria is really awful. Just far enough north to be cold, still within that "you must fry everything" cooking zone that seems to thrive on extra salt... the people are nice ... but they have to be or they would kill each other....

DR 1668 is a cute little disaster.. 210 people checked in as of this morning.. there are 5 IT people checked in at this time but no Disaster Recovery Centers working except two mobile ones. We have been working 7 to 7 X 7 days a week since we got here and will through the day before Thanksgiving where we will begin to work half day saturdays and take off Sunday.

Our Federal Coordinating officer (the big boss) is a dick that learned what he knows about disasters from Katrina and has made life here seriously hell.. we seem to be more about the window dressing than we are about how well things work.

I am announcing that I am going home on December 3rd and will be there indefinitely. My life really is there and I remember how unhappy living on the road made me. I am semi-negotiating with my regional boss about terms for work and if they cannot accomodate me then likely I am done with disasters... I think I would go out in the beginnings of these things and work the first 30 days.. but these long term deployments by myself are too grinding... I have been stonewalled and sandbagged about getting Trena hired by FEMA and the new local hire restrictions are making it unlikely that any will be hired as they were in Baton Rouge last year..... My original hopes for this work was to do some service for my country... and in that regard I feel successful... Anyway... I will post a few more times before I go home but likely will not continue this blog as a disaster thing if I do not do FEMA... I will post if I put up a new blog for other things including "Adventures in Retirement" ... :-D Thanks to all that have supported me over time...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you run across any vampires, yet? I'm sure there must be some in the dankness and darkness in your neck of Louisiana.....

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that you have put a lot into the service that you have done for FEMA. Thank you for trying to get me on with them. There is no place I would rather be than next to you. It is to bad that FEMA does not realize the treasure that they have in you.
I am thrilled to have you return home to me.
I love you. Trena

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have a wonderful thanksgiving lover

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home