Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Passing of CandymanDan ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Sometimes sad things happen during your times away. On Tuesday of this week a good and loyal friend of mine from Denver was killed in a freak traffic accident in Wyoming. I have never had a forum such as this to eulogize someone close as I have been blessed again by losing very few people close to me in life by having them die.

Dan was 42 when he died, a kid really. He drove a truck and was good at it. He had a checkered past including prison but it never seemed to dim the character behind the smile of my friend. He was very active in his chosen AOL community. I expect he danced with every woman in AOL Denver at one time or another. His passion was ball room dancing and It was common to see him in his custom ZOOT suit with the 4 ft watch chain at every social function with a dance floor. Dan always carried hard candy in his coat pockets, and liked to style himself as a candyman. He was lonely and spent a lot of his energy looking for the perfect woman for his life. I think he always felt his personal life was not good enough for someone else cause he always had problems with money and his past, but he was a very good man and one this world will surely miss.

Dan and I rode motorcycles together on occasion. He drove an old Kawasaki beater of 750 cc’s that he spent more time under than riding. He was an awesome companion for lunch or sitting on a sunny patio eating ice cream and ogling the passing women at cold stone with me. He encouraged me at my lowest points and let me sit with him on a couple of his. In the end, you can call him one of those rare people in your life that, if he called, I would have come. I miss him terribly.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Steve! Love ya too! JJ

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Mom

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Dan always made all the women he came in contact feel "special" He had a kind and gentle spirit that will truly be missed. I enjoyed all the fun times I had dancing with him. Trena

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home