Friday, November 11, 2005

TGIF:::::::::::: Southern Food

Ok.. got to the new hote. What can I tell you... The Hampton Inn rocks. Thick soft towels, King sized bed, all my stuff fits on or in something and is not in the way, there is a coffee table in front of my loveseat , a small microwave and fridge.. and a nice sized bathroom. I have four pillows on the bed and it is a big pillowtop thing that is comfy as hell. it even has one of those laptop things like a table that you can write or work from in bed... very nice and I believe I will be very comfy here. They even have breakfast from 6 am for three hours.. so I will get a banana every day or something.

I went out for dinner when I got here this evening. Ended up having BBQ at a place near here called "The Grill". I am very near LSU campus over here so it has a college flair. I got to thinking about the similarities and differences in both Southern cooking and Southern regions.

To begin with, I believe you can define the "Modern South" by looking at the breakfast menu's of wherever you stop. The border of the south is defined as those restrauants where they offer grits with eggs, In the Deep south, you can substitute tomatoes for grits in season :-) . Now BBQ is very different in the regional South... Texas BBQ is sweeter, darker and has a more of a vineager tang to me, here in LA, it is pepper spicier but still nice and red, and more semi sweet. Some of the BBQ in the south even has a mayonaise cachet to it..... anyway.. tonights BBQ was very good. You can define the south as well by ordering iced tea. In the south IF they ask, they will ask if you want your tea sweet or unsweetend. Standard iced tea for the south is sweet tea and it iis with real sugar and is more like brown cool aid than a refreshing drink. If you travel in the South, you may as well make a contest of discovering the best chicken fried steak ever. In rural communities and on highways not on the interstate, you will have your best luck either taking without question whatever the "special" is.. or.. asking for the chicken fried steak. The South will have a preponderance of these steaks NOT deep fried (one of the few foods preferentially NOT dropped in gallons of boiling grease down here) rather they are pan or griddle fried. Proper southern white gravy will not be clotted rather.. thickened and not overly black peppered. If the mashed potatos come with any other seasoning than butter and salt, you are in a gay bar. ;-) . More on Southern food here soon.

My group is getting at least some of Thanksgiving weekend off. I am going to get Thanksgiving day for sure and also Sunday following it off... but will have to work for sure one of the two days in between, and likely both.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you will have a day off. Helps with the stress level.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home