Friday, March 24, 2006

ETA One Month!! :::::::::::::::::::

So I managed an entire week in Maryland with no pictures on a former campus of an all Catholic womens college/Nun repository. FEMA for some reason has classes there and it is Labeled as the "National Firefighters Memorial" and a place where they train firefighters in Leadership.

Campus is over a hundred years old, massive brick buildings.. lots of Catholic imagry. The class was not what I imagined, and I did not quite get out of it what I wanted, however..... I did get some surprising depth out of some things I had not anticipated and am better able to manage in the field in the future because of the experiences. The group was a combination of headquarters weenies, MERS crews (these guys are Daniel Boone kinda folk.. driving huge trucks of satellite gear into the teeth of a disaster the first day to provide communications... rough tough tobbacco chewin' mens men. ) It weenies like me and a couple of odd folk that had nothing at all to do with IT at all. We talked more about phones than is comfy for me (if you need a Merlin PBX hooked up, you better find someone else)................

Anyway.. this disaster ends for me on April 25.. I am flying out to Andrews that day. They are cutting the JFO down to half days Saturday and Sunday off so the hours are hardly worth it and the work gets pretty boring when the hours go down that way. My plans again are to return to Colorado Springs, set up a residence there in a place bigger than my last one and stay at least through Sept 1. We will see what the hurricane season brings this year.

I highly recomend you visit NOAA's website and look at the forecast for this hurricane season. There are imbedded there maps so you can track your own hurricane.. and a map that shows landfall for every hurricane that has made landfall in the US in the last 50 years.. (there are some surprises in that data).... I want to do a poll (if I could figure out how to DO one CHERYL) about where the first hurricane of the year is going to strike and the closest date to the first Cat 5 Hurricane of the season in this hemisphere and where it is going to hit. I also recommend a book by John Barnes called "Mother of all Storms" or something very near that for a Sci Fi book about weather (and humanity) beyond our control.,........... anyone know why hurricanes appear not to hit the Middle east? The new Zombie film has the Pilot (Malcom) from Serenity and for that reason alone I will be attending this weekend.....I am wondering if he can play another character.

Here is the NOAA hurricane site.. ::: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I have a new rental car.. it sucks.. it came from a dedicated smoker.. ick.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy when you are back in the state. Take care.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colorado misses you. It will be so nice to see you again. I would of loved to see pictures of that place. Hurry home.

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the attached website. I might find it useful if it were written in English. Non techical English that is. LOL

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home